Posted on August 14, 2014
Are you a young athlete, or do you have one that’s looking to weight train. Here are five important tips to consider:
- Check with your physician before starting on any weight training program
- Begin with a supervised, no- or low-resistance exercise routine to perfect form and technique before adding too much extra weight
- Once form is perfected, routines should focus on high repetition/low resistance exercises
- Heavy weights and explosive lifts should be avoided
- Exercise machines are often too large for growing teens; supervised free weight routines are best
- Training routines should include:
- Start with a 10-15 minute warm-up
- 2-3 sets of 8-15 exercise repetitions
- Finish with 10-15 minute cool down/stretching period
At Corvallis Sport and Spine Physical Therapy we’re committed to the health of each member of your family. We encourage everyone to exercise regularly in ways that best suit their needs and abilities.
If you want further assistance in setting up a fitness routine appropriate for you, we do offer cash pay training sessions with our expert health and medical fitness knowledge! We’ll see you out their exercising!
– Laura Hoffman, MSPT
Photo courtesy of: https://fitsit360.com/tag/weight-lifting/