If you check the health of a woman, you check the health of society
– Rebecca Milner
Sport and Spine is now treating women’s health conditions at both our Albany and Corvallis locations. We are a group of out-patient orthopedic physical therapists specializing in pelvic floor treatment. Our program is designed by women for women. We know this is a delicate topic and strive to treat our patients in a gentle and compassionate manner that puts them at ease and allows them to participate fully in reaching their goals.
Women’s Health Issues:
We understand that many women suffer silently with pelvic floor dysfunction which can lead to urinary or bowel dysfunction as well as pelvic pain. These issues are more common than most people realize, with nearly 50% of women experiencing incontinence issues at some point during their lifetime. Despite this, a majority of them feel they cannot discuss these issues with their healthcare provider. Although common these symptoms are easily treatable with pelvic floor physical therapy. Women who identify with any of the following conditions would benefit from a pelvic floor evaluation
- Incontinence: Urinary (stress, urge, mixed, overflow), and fecal.
- Pelvic Floor Pain: Vulvodynia, vulvar vestibulitis, dyspareunia, vaginismus, coccydynia, levator ani syndrome, interstitial cystitis, endometriosis, painful defecation, anal and/or rectal pain
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction: Pelvic organ prolapse, bowel/bladder dysfunction (frequency, urgency, retention and/or incomplete emptying)
- Diastasis recti: separation of your abdominal muscles
- Bowel dysfunction: Constipation, diarrhea, or issues related to IBS
- Dyspareunia: painful intercourse, but also pain with inserting tampon or during papsmear/Dr. exams
- Decreased pelvic floor sensation: and/or inability to orgasm during intercourse
- Pregnancy and Postpartum Care: Obstetrical low back pain, sacroiliac joint pain, pubis symphysis, sciatica, diastasis recti, labor trauma or tearing.
- Recovery from abdominal surgery: C-section, Endometriosis laparoscopy etc.
What to expect during your Initial Evaluation:
You will be seen by one of our specialists for an hour-long evaluation. The first part of your session will be filling out an initial questionnaire and telling us about your issues and needs. There will be a review of your medical history, diagnosis, concerns, and questions. You will be given a comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation to as well as an internal pelvic floor assessment if needed; (Permission must be given by patient to medical provider to have this done as part of the evaluation).
An internal assessment provides us with vital information on what is going on with your pelvic floor muscles. Knowing whether these muscles are tight, lax, weak, or painful allows us to develop an individualized treatment plan that is right for your needs. We will also be better equipped to determine treatment frequency and length of treatment needed for your condition. We will finish by going over the results of your exam to give you the tools you need to successfully reach your goals.
At Albany Sport and Spine, we are dedicated to treating with integrity and compassion for our patients to return to their everyday activity's symptom free.
Improving women's bladder, bowel and sexual health for you to Work, Live and Play...Again!